Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Day 1 - Red Eye to South America!

June 18th

The vacation gods have finally laid down the law and I find myself boarding an LAX red-eye (11:39pm) flight to 16 days of a new South America adventure!

This trip had definitely brought down any self-proclaimed titles of myself being a 'wordly traveler'. Yes, Western Europe and Southeast Asia have been demystified...but when I, a native born N. American, can not with certainty tell you where Peru is.....I know I've got a lot to learn lol:)

So to quickly answer some pre-trip questions I had received from fellow Peruvian virgins now that the first bridge has been crossed:

Total flight time from LAX to Cuzco (CUZ) = 11 hrs
2 connections: LAX - Panama City (PTY) 6.5 hrs
                        PTY to Lima (LIM) 3.5 hrs
                        LIM to CUZ 1.25hrs

Whew!  Had to take a break and photobomb some pandas in the duty-free National Geographic store in the PTY airport...

Overall Copa airlines and Lan Peru Airlines were on time and transitions in each airport went very smoothly with less than 1 hour time layovers pretty much.

Don't forget to hydrate to increase quality of plane tolerance and I was a bit afraid of my reaction for Cusco's 11,000 feet elevation so I started my prescribed acetazolamide (Diamox) pill course at LAX:)

Unfortunately no sleep for me on the leg to PTY but did pass the time with The Promised Land, Beautiful Creatures and Jack the Giant Slayer!  Think I'm good on movie watching for the next couple of months hehe.

No hiccups except one odd thing on a pretty empty flight to LIM. My good friend and traveling buddy for the trip, Sienmi, was told that she couldn't occupy the exit row seat (with glorious leg space) because she didn't speak/understand Spanish.... Hmm, despite clear emergency pictorial and large printed Spanish/English directions on the exitdoor.  So the seat stayed empty. Lucky for us, no emergency exiting was required.

No comments:

Post a Comment